Living your best life
Where are you in life right now?
Maybe everything seems great for you. And maybe not. You could also be somewhere in the middle. You may even be going through life so fast trying to pay the bills and meeting your responsibilities that you never even have time to slow down and think about how life could be different – because it can be!
Take a look at these words written by Solomon almost 3,000 years ago, words of wisdom to live by…
“What advantage does man have in all his work
Which he does under the sun?
A generation goes and a generation comes,
But the earth remains forever.
Also, the sun rises and the sun sets;
And hastening to its place it rises there again.
Blowing toward the south,
Then turning toward the north,
The wind continues swirling along;
And on its circular courses the wind returns…
I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind.” Ecclesiastes 1:3-6, 16 (NASB)
All our striving, trying, worry, and even frustration will be wasted time without being aligned with God. Your deep needs in life, having a sense purpose, having meaning, peace, and a sense of wellbeing are not only met, and I would say not met at all, by making more money, lots of recreational activities, social status, having fun, and going from point A to point B in the daily grind. But, sometimes we spend so much time doing these things.
For those who don’t know God, you need to understand that there is an emptiness in every life without Christ. Believing in and following Jesus Christ is the only path to knowing God.
And if you’re a Christian, someone who believes in and follows Jesus Christ, there can also be a sort of emptiness, longing, and disappointment in your life when you are not living life on God’s terms the way He intended.
Remember, His plan is simple…
- God created us, designed us with purpose and direction, and intended for us to live out our lives carrying out good works that He preplanned for us from before the foundations of the world.
- We have all sinned, and this has separated us from God and His plan for us, and we need to turn to Him and turn from of our sins, and put our faith and trust in His Son Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of our sins and for our salvation – This gets our sins forgiven and we have renewed relationship with God.
- Live out our faith, doing our best to commit ourselves to God and His ways, and being able to play a part in what He has planned for us.
Some simple steps to get started in living life on God’s terms…
- Praying. Pray all the time, just talk with God like you’re having a conversation with Him, this is the opportunity that every Christian has been given. Pray in the morning before you start your day. Pray throughout your day. Pray at night before you go to bed. Live a praying life.
- Reading and studying the Bible. Read it every day. I like to pray first, then read one chapter a day reading through a book in the Bible – like Matthew chapter one, then chapter two the next day, and so on. I also like to read parts of Psalms and Proverbs in addition to this every day. I find the best way to do this is to read one chapter from a book, then five Psalms, and then one chapter in Proverbs – this is intense, but is doable if you focus on it.
There are many other ways to come closer to God, but I find these to be two baseline activities that have no substitutes.
Let me know your thoughts…
Maybe even try this out and let me know what you think…